"The Last Airbender" Teaser

Discuss anime series, OVAs, movies, and manga
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

SoxMike wrote:
Mike wrote:The teaser is okay, so I haven't lost hope, but using a pretty much all white cast for this is dumb.
Tbh, I really don't think this is that big of a deal. I mean, at least Aang looked pretty authentic. I guess I'll wait and see.
I'd originally been pissed over Katara and Sokka being white while Zuko was Jesse McCartney or some shit. But now I'm a little more pissed they replaced McCartney with Patel to make Zuko (and ONLY Zuko, the villain this movie) more Asian -- ignoring that northeast Asians and Indians are totally different ethnicities. But...hnngh. You know.

Also, Sokka's actor made a comment about how he'd get a mohawk and a really deep tan and people would suspend their disbelief, which is just...argh. Wow.
Keh.
Jed
E-board alum

Post by Jed »

I, for one, am reserving judgement until I actually see the thing. :P
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
frack
E-board alum
Location: Not in Ithaca, unless I'm visiting, in which case in Ithaca

Post by frack »

Yeah, that is a pretty horrendous trailer.
hanyou-no-miko wrote: I'd originally been pissed over Katara and Sokka being white while Zuko was Jesse McCartney or some shit. But now I'm a little more pissed they replaced McCartney with Patel to make Zuko (and ONLY Zuko, the villain this movie) more Asian -- ignoring that northeast Asians and Indians are totally different ethnicities. But...hnngh. You know.
Yeah, I agree Zuko shouldn't be Indian and the water tribe shouldn't be white...
Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru!
Zetsubou shita!
My Anime List and Recent Anime/Manga
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

frack wrote:Yeah, that is a pretty horrendous trailer.
hanyou-no-miko wrote: I'd originally been pissed over Katara and Sokka being white while Zuko was Jesse McCartney or some shit. But now I'm a little more pissed they replaced McCartney with Patel to make Zuko (and ONLY Zuko, the villain this movie) more Asian -- ignoring that northeast Asians and Indians are totally different ethnicities. But...hnngh. You know.
Yeah, I agree Zuko shouldn't be Indian and the water tribe shouldn't be white...
Goddamnit, they didn't even try...

Image Image
Keh.
SoxMike
E-board alum

Post by SoxMike »

Why is Katara 5?
Mike
E-board alum

Post by Mike »

SoxMike wrote:Why is Katara 5?
Eh, she's 14, same age as Katara. She does look a bit young. Too white though...
HettGutt
E-board member

Post by HettGutt »

This YouTuber lists out pretty much anything and everything that could be changed going into the movie, and raises an especially good point: casting mainly for looks is generally the worst idea ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJ2vOqQgJM
We're all still going to dish out 10 bucks to see it, so the best thing to do is to reserve judgment.
You do not choose a waifu. Your waifu chooses you.
Jed
E-board alum

Post by Jed »

hear, hear. My sentiment exactly. If the actors are good enough to put on a convincing performance, they don't need to look anything like their characters for you to be convinced that they are who they're supposed to be.
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
Secretary Of Pocky
E-board alum

Post by Secretary Of Pocky »

HettGutt wrote: We're all still going to dish out 10 bucks to see it, so the best thing to do is to reserve judgment.
Not if you don't have time go to theaters............ also it helps when you just don't care.
"I love it when Masaaki Endoh shouts things. Attack names in particular, but he could shout just about anything and I'd be happy. When my mother passes, I want Endoh to deliver the news, so instead of getting sad I get really pumped about it."
frack
E-board alum
Location: Not in Ithaca, unless I'm visiting, in which case in Ithaca

Post by frack »

Quite frankly, I think those people actually look reasonably close (aside from obviously skin color). And of course, the acting/character development is more important than appearances.
Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru!
Zetsubou shita!
My Anime List and Recent Anime/Manga