Cornell Japanese Animation Society Conquering Cornell through anime fandom

"The Last Airbender" Teaser

Discuss anime series, OVAs, movies, and manga

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby hanyou-no-miko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 am

SoxMike wrote:
Mike wrote:The teaser is okay, so I haven't lost hope, but using a pretty much all white cast for this is dumb.


Tbh, I really don't think this is that big of a deal. I mean, at least Aang looked pretty authentic. I guess I'll wait and see.


I'd originally been pissed over Katara and Sokka being white while Zuko was Jesse McCartney or some shit. But now I'm a little more pissed they replaced McCartney with Patel to make Zuko (and ONLY Zuko, the villain this movie) more Asian -- ignoring that northeast Asians and Indians are totally different ethnicities. But...hnngh. You know.

Also, Sokka's actor made a comment about how he'd get a mohawk and a really deep tan and people would suspend their disbelief, which is just...argh. Wow.
Keh.
User avatar
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum
 
Posts: 395

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby Jed » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 pm

I, for one, am reserving judgement until I actually see the thing. :P
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
User avatar
Jed
E-board alum
 
Posts: 692

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby frack » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Yeah, that is a pretty horrendous trailer.

hanyou-no-miko wrote:I'd originally been pissed over Katara and Sokka being white while Zuko was Jesse McCartney or some shit. But now I'm a little more pissed they replaced McCartney with Patel to make Zuko (and ONLY Zuko, the villain this movie) more Asian -- ignoring that northeast Asians and Indians are totally different ethnicities. But...hnngh. You know.

Yeah, I agree Zuko shouldn't be Indian and the water tribe shouldn't be white...
Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru!
Zetsubou shita!
My Anime List and Recent Anime/Manga
User avatar
frack
E-board alum
 
Posts: 73

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby hanyou-no-miko » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 pm

frack wrote:Yeah, that is a pretty horrendous trailer.

hanyou-no-miko wrote:I'd originally been pissed over Katara and Sokka being white while Zuko was Jesse McCartney or some shit. But now I'm a little more pissed they replaced McCartney with Patel to make Zuko (and ONLY Zuko, the villain this movie) more Asian -- ignoring that northeast Asians and Indians are totally different ethnicities. But...hnngh. You know.

Yeah, I agree Zuko shouldn't be Indian and the water tribe shouldn't be white...


Goddamnit, they didn't even try...

Image Image
Keh.
User avatar
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum
 
Posts: 395

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby SoxMike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Why is Katara 5?
User avatar
SoxMike
E-board alum
 
Posts: 312

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:18 am

SoxMike wrote:Why is Katara 5?

Eh, she's 14, same age as Katara. She does look a bit young. Too white though...
Mike
E-board alum
 
Posts: 209

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby HettGutt » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:28 am

This YouTuber lists out pretty much anything and everything that could be changed going into the movie, and raises an especially good point: casting mainly for looks is generally the worst idea ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJ2vOqQgJM
We're all still going to dish out 10 bucks to see it, so the best thing to do is to reserve judgment.
You do not choose a waifu. Your waifu chooses you.
HettGutt
E-board member
 
Posts: 91

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby Jed » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:04 am

hear, hear. My sentiment exactly. If the actors are good enough to put on a convincing performance, they don't need to look anything like their characters for you to be convinced that they are who they're supposed to be.
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
User avatar
Jed
E-board alum
 
Posts: 692

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby Secretary Of Pocky » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:55 pm

HettGutt wrote:We're all still going to dish out 10 bucks to see it, so the best thing to do is to reserve judgment.


Not if you don't have time go to theaters............ also it helps when you just don't care.
"I love it when Masaaki Endoh shouts things. Attack names in particular, but he could shout just about anything and I'd be happy. When my mother passes, I want Endoh to deliver the news, so instead of getting sad I get really pumped about it."
User avatar
Secretary Of Pocky
E-board alum
 
Posts: 455

Re: "The Last Airbender" Teaser

Postby frack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Quite frankly, I think those people actually look reasonably close (aside from obviously skin color). And of course, the acting/character development is more important than appearances.
Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru!
Zetsubou shita!
My Anime List and Recent Anime/Manga
User avatar
frack
E-board alum
 
Posts: 73

PreviousNext

Return to Anime & Manga

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron