Chocolate Fondue

General CJAS discussion
Katt5673
E-board alum

Chocolate Fondue

Post by Katt5673 »

Hey guys, I have a tentative suggestion - if we have fondue this week, after marathon, how about instead of cheese and bread, we have chocolate and fruit?

I would be more than happy to buy strawberries from the Appel store, and buy (steal) bananas and things, as well as pay Adam extra money, just this one time. What do you guys think?

Katherine
Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Re: Chocolate Fondue

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

I would love delicious dessert fondue. I think this plan is win.
Keh.
Jed
E-board alum

Post by Jed »

[moved topic from Anime forum to general CJAS discussion forum]

There would have to be something to cut the sweetness of the chocolate, though. In my experience, people consume far less chocolate fondue than cheese fondue because the chocolate is so rich and sweet, you get sick/tired of it after a few turns.
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
Secretary Of Pocky
E-board alum

Post by Secretary Of Pocky »

You could have some sort of tart fruits or have other things that will cut the sweetness of the chocolate. Or just use dark chocolate: supreme and not too sweet.
"I love it when Masaaki Endoh shouts things. Attack names in particular, but he could shout just about anything and I'd be happy. When my mother passes, I want Endoh to deliver the news, so instead of getting sad I get really pumped about it."
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

Ooooh! We could also have bits of delicious pound cake or graham crackers with our tart fruit! :DD
Keh.
Mike
E-board alum

Post by Mike »

I tried repeatedly to get this to happen a while back. I'm not sure if it ever did... maybe once.
lepidoptera
E-board alum

Post by lepidoptera »

Sounds yummy... I don't like cheese fondue anyway.
Secretary Of Pocky
E-board alum

So..... are we good on this? If so, I can pick up some chocolate when I go to the mall tomorrow. Just tell me quantity and quality AKA how much chocolate and what type of chocolate.
"I love it when Masaaki Endoh shouts things. Attack names in particular, but he could shout just about anything and I'd be happy. When my mother passes, I want Endoh to deliver the news, so instead of getting sad I get really pumped about it."
Jed
E-board alum

Post by Jed »

Secretary Of Pocky! wrote:So..... are we good on this? If so, I can pick up some chocolate when I go to the mall tomorrow. Just tell me quantity and quality AKA how much chocolate and what type of chocolate.
Quality
Bittersweet chocolate. The better quality you get, the better the fondue will be. (Decent bittersweet chocolate has at least 50% cocoa solids (this is different from % cocoa/cacao).) Oh, and get it in bars, not chips. Semisweet chocolate is a valid substitute. Dark chocolate is not.

Quantity
I don't know how many to expect, but I'd say about 3 oz chocolate per person.

We'll also need heavy whipping cream to thin out the chocolate. About 1 cup per 20 oz chocolate.

For dippables, here are some ideas:
  • fruit (strawberries, bananas, apples, naval oranges, pineapple, pears)
  • pretzels
  • pound cake and/or angel-food cake
  • biscotti
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
Secretary Of Pocky
E-board alum

Jed wrote:
Secretary Of Pocky! wrote:So..... are we good on this? If so, I can pick up some chocolate when I go to the mall tomorrow. Just tell me quantity and quality AKA how much chocolate and what type of chocolate.
Quality
Bittersweet chocolate. The better quality you get, the better the fondue will be. (Decent bittersweet chocolate has at least 50% cocoa solids (this is different from % cocoa/cacao).) Oh, and get it in bars, not chips. Semisweet chocolate is a valid substitute. Dark chocolate is not.

Quantity
I don't know how many to expect, but I'd say about 3 oz chocolate per person.

We'll also need heavy whipping cream to thin out the chocolate. About 1 cup per 20 oz chocolate.

For dippables, here are some ideas:
  • fruit (strawberries, bananas, apples, naval oranges, pineapple, pears)
  • pretzels
  • pound cake and/or angel-food cake
  • biscotti
Okay, tomorrow I'll get some whipping cream or half-and-half (a pint?) to thin the chocolate and eh..... three or four bags of either Dove or Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate squares. That's about 35-40 oz. Can someone else get the fruits and preferably angel-food cake? And some skewers?