Discuss anime series, OVAs, movies, and manga
Mike
E-board alum

Re: Avatar 'n' Such

Post by Mike »

Actually, I did mean the live-action one(s). I posted after seeing the end, where they intentionally left out any new info about his mother. I'm wondering when we'll get to find out what really happened, and where she currently is if still alive.

Though, if the movies are just going to be summaries of each season, I guess the info wouldn't show up there either.
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

Mike wrote:Actually, I did mean the live-action one(s). I posted after seeing the end, where they intentionally left out any new info about his mother. I'm wondering when we'll get to find out what really happened, and where she currently is if still alive.

Though, if the movies are just going to be summaries of each season, I guess the info wouldn't show up there either.

...hahaha I was totally misremembering your post. My bad.
Keh.
Secretary Of Pocky
E-board alum

Post by Secretary Of Pocky »

Mike wrote:Actually, I did mean the live-action one(s). I posted after seeing the end, where they intentionally left out any new info about his mother. I'm wondering when we'll get to find out what really happened, and where she currently is if still alive.

I highly doubt they would put information into the movies that was not already contained within the series. In my mind the movies will be as you said and will be summaries of the three books. I do hope though that there will be new perspectives shown in the movies that could present information in another light.
"I love it when Masaaki Endoh shouts things. Attack names in particular, but he could shout just about anything and I'd be happy. When my mother passes, I want Endoh to deliver the news, so instead of getting sad I get really pumped about it."
lepidoptera
E-board alum

Post by lepidoptera »

I though the ending was stupid.
Spoiler:
In real life, you can't always stay true to your principles. Principles are abstractions. The fact the Aang didn't have to sacrifice anything really cheapened the ending for me. (Oh look! I got taken to another plane and meant a turtle lion who told me how to defeat the fire lord without killing him! Goody!) Sacrifice is always necessary. There's no calculus in life that will let you off they way Aang got let off.

The battle between principle and utilitarianism is one that will never be resolved, and it's amazing for a kid's show to deal with those issues. But they coped out. They're basically saying "if you're true to your principles, you won't have to make sacrifices." Sorry, not true. Even Jesus had to get nailed to a cross, people.
Mike
E-board alum

Post by Mike »

Maybe, or they could just be saying that for the one central character who happens to be the mediator of the entire world. I mean, many other characters made plenty of sacrifices.

You could also make the argument that he took a huge risk that could have ended in the loss of his power and the end of the avatar cycle. Of course the writers wouldn't do that, but as long as we're reading into it...
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

I thought the finale was trying to say that you should only kill when all other possibilities are exhausted.
Spoiler:
The other Avatars have clearly killed to preserve order and the whole Roku and Sozin thing showed very clearly that sometimes definitive action must be taken. But this is still a kid's show. I really doubt Nick would have let the writers get away with a 13-year-old boy (and the protagonist at that) deliberately killing someone in a children's show. They're lucky they were allowed to put as much as they DID in there.

I was kinda pissed about the defanging of Ozai with the kids mocking him like that, but the ending was so awesome I can forgive it. Y'know...that and the other suspension of disbelief moments (Like how was Robo!Toph breathing in that metal casing? And wouldn't the metal still heat up and burn her skin?)
Keh.
greatgentlegiant
E-board alum

Post by greatgentlegiant »

Hey, look at me, actually posting on the board!

Well, without any TV stations at my apartment, I was forced to watch the final episodes of Avatar on Youtube Suck-O-Vision. That being said, it was still some of the most awesome Avatar out there. Period.

Oh, and Meghan, complete agreement with everything you said.

Wise Lion-Turtle was a little random, but still awesome.
The Bird of Hermes is my name,
Eating my wings to make me tame.

Hellsing
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

greatgentlegiant wrote:Wise Lion-Turtle was a little random, but still awesome.
Actually, my first thought when I realized it was a giant turtle was "O hay it's Genbu! :DD." So rather than feeling "Oh that's random" I thought "Research into Asian cultures FTW."
Keh.
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

Well, since most everything has been said, I still must say this:
Spoiler:

The best part? I didn't even have to TOUCH her with a paintbrush tool. All I used was a little smudge and a little desaturate; she already had the expression all ready for me.
Keh.
Mike
E-board alum

Post by Mike »

Heh, nice.