Changing usernames

Problems with or questions about the CJAS web site, these forums, or our mailing lists? Post here!
Zero
Blog admin

Changing Usernames?

Post by Zero »

Now, I first created my account on the CJAS sites AGES ago. At that time, I just used my standard ol' screenname. At this point in time, though, I'd much rather see my name displayed as "Zero".

I looked into my account settings, and there appears to be a field for username, but it actually isn't possible to edit it. So is there a way to change my username without simply creating a new account?
If there's one thing I've learned from anime, it's that a stalker is just a girlfriend you haven't met.
hanyou-no-miko
E-board alum

Changing usernames

Post by hanyou-no-miko »

[Split discussion. This is in reply to this post. -Jed]
SoxMike wrote:
digit0110 wrote:MING!

Also, yes, I would be Michael Ross. (On a related note, is there any way to change your username? I asked about it in the support section ages ago, and I'd much prefer to be Zero on the forums)

-Zero
Sorry, there are so many Mikes. To my understanding, phpBB does not allow for changing usernames. I'm not even sure Jed can change it for you.
IIRC, Jed changed MY username, so I suspect it is, in fact, possible.
Keh.
Andarel
E-board member

Re: Officers & Committee Heads list

Post by Andarel »

phpBB is pretty flexible; from my experience with it (assuming it's stayed roughly the same) Jed can both let people change their own usernames as a "Nickname" and can change login usernames for you. Just gotta find a way to get in touch with him.
Jed
E-board alum

Re: Changing usernames

Post by Jed »

The general policy is that username changes are highly discouraged. This is because once you are active in the forums, there is text that refers to your existing username (e.g., "digit0110 wrote:") which won't be updated when your username changes. This makes things rather confusing when people read old posts.

Anyway, this said, digit0110 is now Zero.
All glory to the Hypnotoad!