K-ON! Season 2! ZHOMFG!

Discuss anime series, OVAs, movies, and manga
Mr. Sandman
E-board alum

Re: K-ON! Season 2! ZHOMFG!

Post by Mr. Sandman »

It's a curious thing, really. Given that most anime from the last decade or so tend to be based on still-running manga, it can be quite a challenge to alter or create an adaptation of the story in question to fit a 26/12/XX episode season. The fact that some series are short or garner few sequels or continuations might not necessarily be a bad thing for the quality of the show. Sometimes it works (Kino, Baccano!), sometimes it leaves you begging for more (Kuroshitsuji, Claymore), and sometimes, moar eps is just a bad idea (.hack, anyone?).

Besides, not all long-runners are bad; pardon the non-anime example, but 10 consecutive years of Kamen Rider shows have done little to deflate the series's popularity or quality. That's not even counting the old shows from the Showa era.

I digress, guys. TLDR: Just cause you can, doesn't mean Season 2 will have good writing.

You know, this thread reminded me (via Familiar of Zero) of something I saw on ANN the other week.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/images/ ... -comic.jpg

Flippant, yes. But somewhat insightful, if you ask me.
*sigh* Dispatched, in mankind's darkest hour, we are Knights of the Blue Flame.

けー… 我々は, 終末の日に遣わされた白日の使徒にして, 蒼炎の騎士だ。
HettGutt
E-board member

Post by HettGutt »

Mr. Sandman wrote:Just cause you can, doesn't mean Season 2 will have good writing.
Good/bad writing is the least of anime's problems. In my opinion, to make another season is a gamble that should be taken. When I find a good plot-driven show that only has 12 or 13 episodes, it's like, "Why bother?" Even if it's "good," it probably won't be enjoyable; I'd rather a story not be forced to have a premature conclusion like that.

hanyou-no-miko wrote:Bite me. >O
Okay. *chomp*
You do not choose a waifu. Your waifu chooses you.
Mr. Sandman
E-board alum

Post by Mr. Sandman »

Good/bad writing is the least of anime's problems.
Far from it, in fact. While much can be argued in support of animation, sound, or character art, good writing can carry a show farther than technical wizardry or raw moe appeal can. I say "can," because quite often the popularity or marketability of a show or its characters will eclipse any need for such luxuries as a coherent plot, captivating story, or compelling characters. Still, the quality of writing of a series or work can often mean the difference between a pretentious money-maker and something for the ages. Poor writing was what kept Code Geass R2 from being anywhere near as good as the first, and good writing was what made Persona 3 such a damn fine game.
In my opinion, to make another season is a gamble that should be taken. When I find a good plot-driven show that only has 12 or 13 episodes, it's like, "Why bother?"
Hm. Interesting. It is often a gamble to make a second season, especially when the first was received so well, as the fanbase can turn quickly if provoked. K-ON faces no such uphill battle, from what I can see, as it will likely make the money back with room to spare based on its sheer moe appeal, DVD sales, and merch. Now, making a second season to Darker than Black; that was risky. Given how well it was received by audiences on both sides of the Pacific, the second season was held to a fairly high standard indeed and seems to be meeting it. Welcome news, given the general lack of marketability.

As I said before, the length of a series can directly impact the nature of it writing. Baccano! works better as a 13-ep anime because of how the studio chose to adapt the corresponding sections of the light novel series. You might call its ending premature or forced, but it is not made up out of whole-cloth as too often hits series like Claymore. Baccano! ended before it got a chance to drag its feet, so to speak. Black Lagoon's first season fits here too. Why bother with something so short? Because it can be very sweet indeed.
Even if it's "good," it probably won't be enjoyable;
A common misconception. The quality of a series and its entertainment value are not mutually exclusive and can complement each other (as in Baccano! or xxxHolic). However, there are times when this maxim can be perceived as true (Mushishi), or reversed (Hayate). And sometimes, it's neither (Seitokai, Zero).

Also, you text-bit Meg; that's kinda creepy.

HettGutt
E-board member

Post by HettGutt »

Mr. Sandman wrote: Far from it, in fact. While much can be argued in support of animation, sound, or character art, good writing can carry a show farther than technical wizardry or raw moe appeal can. I say "can," because quite often the popularity or marketability of a show or its characters will eclipse any need for such luxuries as a coherent plot, captivating story, or compelling characters.
Well, there's a difference between decent writing (Seitokai, Love Hina) and bad writing (Kampfer, Princess Lover, Gendai Mahou). If a show doesn't act plotty, doesn't depend on the plot 24/7, why punish it for not having a "good enough" plot? Seriously, lighten up a bit and maybe you'll actually enjoy something like Genshiken or, godforbid, Zero no Tsukaima.
Mr. Sandman wrote: Hm. Interesting. It is often a gamble to make a second season, especially when the first was received so well, as the fanbase can turn quickly if provoked.
Obvious Haruhi reference is obvious.
Mr. Sandman wrote: Baccano! works better as a 13-ep anime because of how the studio chose to adapt the corresponding sections of the light novel series. You might call its ending premature or forced, but it is not made up out of whole-cloth as too often hits series like Claymore. Baccano! ended before it got a chance to drag its feet, so to speak.
I don't know. I really would have liked to see more of Baccano. The OVA was where it started to get interesting for me. It's kind of like reading the first Haruhi novel, burning the remaining 8, and saying, "Well, that was a jolly good read." There's still so much more to the story, and it may get even better. Zero, Index, Haruhi, and Genshiken feel like this, though Haruhi might be getting over the Disappearance hump and Genshiken stopped literally right before the interesting part. Hell, if xxxHolic had continued and stuck to the crazy CLAMP-iverse plot that is allegedly in the manga, I'm sure I would have hated it slightly less.
Mr. Sandman wrote:And sometimes, it's neither (Seitokai, Zero).
Oh, Diego, always the joker. You are a funny guy.
Mr. Sandman
E-board alum

Post by Mr. Sandman »

Hm. Interesting.

To repeat myself yet again, a show need not be exceptionally well written to be entertaining. In my case, I find that I am most entertained by exceptionally well-told stories or rounded/intriguing characters. This is by no means a rule; I love Hayate to bits despite its plot being held together with floss and hope based on how funny (And cute!) the kid himself can be. (Now if they were just able to write out Nagi and give Wataru and Maria a bit more screentime... But I digress.)

I do not automatically "punish" shows for lacking a plot, though I do typically dislike shows that lack both substance and style (Love Hina, Seitokai). And I have more than demonstrated how I am perfectly capable of enjoying a varied selection of genres, quite fine, thank you. I have no idea where you received the ridiculous impression that I need to "lighten up" about my taste in anime and manga.

Man, I wasn't even making a Haruhi reference there. But sure, whatever does it for you.

Now, don't get me wrong; I'd love to see more seasons of Baccano! It's just that for this particular season, I believe that it was probably best to (as was produced) adapt a certain section of the series and call it a day for now in order to avoid pitfalls like filler and budget-breaking. That's all. Besides, there's no doubt about how much better it can get. (Something I wish I could say for such series as Zero, Index, or Genshiken.) Let's hope, then, that we will see more of the series in the Next Decade.

As for what humor you saw in my last post: Well, I wasn't fishing for compliments or anything, but... (straightens tie) thanks! XD

But seriously? Yeah, I'm not joking: I find the writing in Seitokai, Love Hina, Zero (first season, anyway; not that the second's turning out much better) to be subpar at best. Not that there was much to like about them, anyway.

HettGutt
E-board member

Post by HettGutt »

Moar K-On!! news: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/02/2 ... -stations/ NOTE: It's Sankaku, so NSFW and all that.

Judges? I believe we have a new record?

Even if not, it just goes to show you, K-On! is fucking popular. And just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's crap.